IM1-4: Engaging Culturally-Diverse Communities
Through Ethnographic Participation
As part of the emphasis on six basic types of communities and their respective social environments, the ethnographic process will be demonstrated as a foundation for engaging cultural groups. This workshop will emphasize the practical techniques of participant observation and ethnographic interview as a means of building both relationships and deeper understanding of the community. Case studies about establishing relationships with six types of communities will be presented.
In this workshop you will learn:
1. How to engage diverse communities through participant observation.
2. How to engage diverse communities through ethnographic interviews.
3. How to build a data base.
4. Develop team sharing of ethnographic notes .
1. Participant Observation Elements and Scope.
2. The Ethnographic Interview and Questions.
3. Ethics of the Interview.
4. Data Base Entries and Team Sharing.